Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Needle Book Tutorial

I needed a way to keep my needles safe and in one spot. I hated putting my embroidery needles into my tomato with all the other pins and things, so one evening I made this. I made it to fit snugly into my Organization box. And I love it. I've made several for friends and my mom. It will literally take you longer to gather the supplies than it will to put it together. Hope you'll try it.

You'll need:
some small scraps of felt and fabric
pinking shears & regular scissors
needle
embroidery floss

1. Cut out some rectangles with your pinking shears from the felt and decorative fabric.
Felt rectangle should measure around 7 inches by 1.5 inches. The decorative fabric (you can use cotton or flannel, really whatever you want) should measure around 2.5 inches by 1 inch.

2. Cut out your "pages" (I use felt for this part too) with your regular scissors. This rectangle will be about 6 inches by 1.25 inches.

3. Sew the decorative fabric to the front of the felt. I just sew knots in each corner.

4. fold both pieces to find the middle, than stich a running stitch to hold the "pages" in place.
5. Insert your needles for safe keeping.
Here's your finished little needle book. That will fit really nicely in your floss organization box.

My Little needle book is tucked into my box in that upper left compartment. Sorry, I took this picture for another craft and I'm feeling too lazy to take another picture right now. :)
By the way, if you use Embroidery Floss at all and don't have one of these nifty organizing boxes, you should get one. It is well worth the few dollars they cost. And they come with awesome little plastic bobbins to wind your floss onto. You can find them at any Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's, or Michaels.

2 comments:

Trisha said...

very sweet!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Quick as can be! And so very cute! Thanks for sharing.

 
01 09 10