Friday, July 3, 2009

4th of July Cupcakes


I needed to bring dessert to a dinner party tonight with some friends. I wanted it to look pretty, but not be too difficult and really wanted it to be 4th of July-ish. So I was planning on making a Flag Cake, but I don't have one of those really big sheet cake pans...so I decided on cupcakes when I saw these cute star cupcake liners at Wal-mart today.

Cake:
White Cake Mix
(follow the directions on your cake mix- mine called for Oil, Egg Whites, Water)

Icing:
2 sticks of unsalted butter room temperature
12 oz cream cheese at room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
3/4 t. vanilla extract

1 lb. strawberries washed & dried
1/2 pint blueberries washed & dried

I used a regular white cake mix  for the cupcakes and then used a cream cheese icing recipe from Ina Garten (I halved the recipe and it was plenty). It calls for less powdered sugar than some other recipes I saw and didn't seem sweet enough on it's own. However, once it's on the cupcake and you take a bite of fruit with it...It's perfect.
Hope everyone likes them tonight.

No comments:

 
01 09 10